Website: www.dougzider.comEmail: email@example.comInstagram:
"I live a stone's throw from the water of The Great South Bay. The bay itself runs the southern coast of central Long Island to western Suffolk County with the barrier islands its only source of protection from the wide open sea.
As an islander and boater my whole life, the bay has always been the source of play, work, and peace of mind. A delicate environment always changing, always giving up something new to see, a true natural resource. It is with great pleasure I study and paint what has been given to us."BIO SUMMARY:
Born in Amityville, raised in Massapequa, NY, 1956
Attended Roger Williams College, Bristol RI, received BA 1978
Attended The School of Visual Arts, NYC, NY, studying realism painting
Doug began work at The National Broadcasting Company, 30 Rock in 1979 as a designer, where he still works today. He started in the Scenic and Graphic Design department, working in a staff of 10 with many freelance artists, pros from fields ranging from theater to Ad agencies,each with their own technical skills, styles, and tools, making the experience an all arts feeding ground. A six-time Emmy Award Winner at NBC, Doug has participated in a wide range of creative teams in entertainment and sports and works as a graphic designer for Saturday Night Live, and formerly designed for many sporting events and venues, MLB, NFL, AFL, NBA, NHL, tennis, NASCAR and The Summer and Winter Olympic Games.
Doug's father John "Jack" was very much the professional in his field as lead designer for Grumman Aircraft's Art Dept. in Bethpage, NY in the 50's and 60's. As a commercial designer and illustrator in his early years, he followed the wave of abstract painting to Long Island, giving his family the opportunity to grow at the waters edge. Never lacking the use of his father's drafting supplies and oil paints, Doug's interests took an early hold. He worked as a teenager on the Great South Bay as a dock master with early morning rises to lay the traps in the marshes, and still claims that it was the best job he ever had. His love of the Arts and the sea had always faired well together, as he always had the bay at hands reach on Long Island as well as the barrier islands to the Atlantic, and summer days that seemingly never ended. Doug resumed painting again in the later parts of his career, using traditional methods in preparation and application. "Understanding the medium and its characteristics is a never ending learning process, technically and artistically. How the color, value and light represents the image is essential to composition, drama, and most importantly, the desire and discipline to convey that view."
Doug is constantly turning to the water for true inspiration, with runs to the shore with endless coastal settings. He has studied Plein Air and composition with acclaimed landscape painter Joseph McGurl at his studio in Cataumet, Massachusetts, applying the field techniques to the studio work, relying on one's eye and the understanding of nature's way. Doug's original work is represented in galleries of Connecticut, Maine, and New York and his print work is international.AFFILIATIONS
The Salmagundi Club - Artist Member
American Artist Professional League - Artist Member
Art Renewal Center - designated, Associate Living Master™CREDITS & AWARDS
SHOWS & EXHIBITIONS:
- Audubon Artist Award- American Artists Professional League, 87th Grand National
- FINALIST (2 paintings) Art Renewal Center (ARC) Salon International 2015
- FIRST PRIZE- Laumeister Fine Arts Competition, The Bennington Arts Center, VT
- FIRST PRIZE- The Nautical Show, Salmagundi Club NYC 2015
- 6 time Emmy Award winning designer
- 7 time Promax (promotion & design) Gold Medallion winner
- 5 time BDA (Broadcast Designer Association) International silver and bronze award
- 2008 Cover Artist of The Year- "Dan's Paper's" (The Hamptons & NYC, NY)
- 2016- Salmagundi Club, NYC, - "Member's Landscape Exhibition"
- 2015- Elected artist member Salmagundi Club NYC
- 2015- ARC Art Renewal Center Salon International 2015
- 2015 - American Artist Professional League- 87th Grand National Exhibition
- 2015- Art League of Long Island, NY- " 57th Exhibition of Long Island Artists"
- 2015- The Bennington, Center for the Arts, VT- "Laumeister Fine Art Competition"
- 2015- Art of the Sea Galleries, ME- "A Gathering of Marine Masters 2015"
- 2015- Salmagundi Club, NYC, - "Member's Nautical Exhibition"
- 2014- Solo Exhibitions "Visions; Land & Sea"-
The Gallery At Firehouse Square, New London, CT
Lauder Museum, Amityville, NY
- 2014- Art of the Sea Galleries, ME- "A Gathering of Marine Masters 2014"
- 2014- Salmagundi Club, NYC, - Juried Open Exhibition
- 2014- Hutchins Gallery, LIU Post, NY- " Endless Summer, Visions of Long Island"
- 2014- American Artist Professional League- "86th Grand National Exhibition",
Salmagundi Club, NYC
- 2013- Art League of Long Island, NY- " 56th Exhibition of Long Island Artists"
- 2013- Salmagundi Club, NYC - "SCNY Collectors' & Artists Exhibition"
- 2013- Coos Art Museum, OR, - "The 20th Maritime Art Exhibit"
- 2013- Art of the Sea Galleries, ME- "A Gathering of Marine Masters 2013"
- 2013- American Artist Professional League- "85th Grand National Exhibition"
- 2013- The Bennington, Center for the Arts, VT- "Laumeister Fine Art Competition"
- 2012- American Artist Professional League- " 84th Grand National Exhibition"
- 2012- Art of the Sea Galleries, ME- " A Gathering of Marine Masters in Miniature
- 2012- Coos Art Museum, OR, - "The 19th Maritime Art Exhibit"
- 2011- Southampton, NY- "Dan's Papers: Cover Artist Show"
- 2011- Art of the Sea Galleries, ME- "The Masters Exhibition"
- 2011- Salmagundi Club, NYC, - Juried Open Exhibition
- 2010- Westport River Gallery, CT- "The Holiday Show
- 2010- Southampton, NY- "Dan's Papers: 50 Years, 50 Artists"
- 2010- Darien Library, CT- Solo Exhibition, "The Sea, The Coast, The Classic Novel"
- 2010- Salmagundi Club, NYC - Juried Open Exhibition
- 2010- American Society of Marine Artists, East Regional Show -
"Blue Water, Still Water"
Biggs Museum of American Art, DE -
Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, MD -
Buffalo Naval Park Museum, NY -
- 2009- Westport River Gallery, CT- "The Holiday Show"
- 2009- Westport River Gallery, CT- Group Show- "Current Works"
- 2008- Allison Corey Fine Arts Gallery, NY- Solo Exhibition- "Coastal Visions"
- 2008- Lauder Museum, NY- Solo Exhibition, "The Coast"
- 2008- Long Island Museum, NY- "Summer On Long Island"
- 2007- Lauder Museum, NY- Solo Exhibition, "Views of the Great South Bay"
- Sunflower Galleries, Garden City NY
- Westport River Galleries, Westport, CT
- Art of the Seas Gallery, South Thomaston, ME
- The Gallery at Firehouse Square, New London, CT